Small Business Saturday is nestled right between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is a day to celebrate the beauty of local businesses and the impact they have on our communities. The concept of shopping small started in 2010 when American Express wanted to create a movement that encouraged people to shop local and support small businesses. The trajectory of Small Business Saturday has evolved and receives national recognition in addition to local support from nonprofit trade groups, public officials, and “neighborhood champions” who rally to help their communities grow.
How to Shop Local
Shopping local is an essential aspect to supporting businesses on Small Business Saturday, and it all begins with YOU. Every dollar that goes into a small business provides an opportunity for that business to flourish and grow within its community. You are giving a budding entrepreneur a chance to succeed and promote their unique story to the rest of the world.
As you are prepping your shopping list, consider trading your regular chain for a locally owned store. Here are a few ways to shop small and make a big impact.
- Start your day with a warm cup of joe at your neighborhood coffee shop
- Design your holiday menu with produce from a farmer’s market
- Indulge in a sweet treat at a neighborhood bakery
- Dress yourself in the trendiest outfits from your favorite boutique
- Promote a friend’s businesses on your social media with a hashtag, photo, or video
- Write a gift guide for friends and family with recommendations featuring favorite small businesses
One purchase is all it takes to support this growing movement that puts the value of a dollar back into the friends, families, and neighborhoods that are the lifeblood of our communities. Bluehost is happy to support Small Business Saturday and celebrate the amazing people who make up an integral part of our community. Shop small and make a BIG impact during Small Business Saturday!