CuteFTP: How to Manage and Transfer Files
Once connected to a server via CuteFTP, it is important to understand the ways in which one can manage and transfer files within this environment.
This article will cover how to:
- Navigating the Files
- Renaming a File or Folder
- Adding a Folder
- Moving Files and Folders
- Transferring Files
It is important to become familiarized with the layout of CuteFTP.
- At the top of CuteFTP is a toolbar for quick access to most functions. Hovering over an icon for a moment will show a small description of that tool.
- Below the toolbar is the connection bar, which asks for the connection details (host, username, password, port).
- Below the connection bar are three sections:
- The left section has two tabs. The 'Local Drives' tab allows access to the files and folders of your local machine (the PC currently running CuteFTP) and the 'Site Manager', tab which allows easy organization and management of various FTP connections, so they may easily be found and connected to at a future time.
- The right section will be blank when you first start CuteFTP but will allow access to the files and folders of your remote connections. If there are multiple connections, there will be a tab for each connection made.
- The far bottom section of CuteFTP has two tabs. The 'Queue Window' shows status information for any transfer in progress. The 'Log Window' shows log information on all processes that have been completed and whether those processes were completed successfully or not.
To rename a file or folder:
- Right-click on the item.
- Select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Edit the name of the file or folder.
- Additionally, a file or folder can be renamed using the 'Rename' tool in the toolbar.
To add a folder:
- Right-click on any empty space and select New Folder.
- Name the folder in the pop-up window and click OK.
To move any file or folder:
- Left-click on the item, then drag it into the appropriate location.
- A file or folder can be moved from one section to another or within the same section.
Files and folders can be transferred in any number of ways:
- Clicking and dragging an item from the left local section to the right remote section, or vice versa.
- Clicking and dragging an item from your desktop or open window on your computer to the right remote column, or vice versa.