Email Application Setup: Mozilla Thunderbird
Thunderbird is a free email client that can be downloaded from mozilla.com/thunderbird. This guide has step-by-step instructions to set up your Bluehost-hosted email account on Mozilla Thunderbird for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Due to differences in the operating systems, some screens and steps might vary. However, the steps should be the same across platforms.
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to File > New > Existing Mail Account.
- In Mail Account Setup, enter the following information:
- Your Name: Your full name, as you want it to appear on your outbound mail.
- Email Address: The email address you're setting up.
- Password: The password for your email account.
- Check the Remember Password box, and then click Continue.
Thunderbird will look up the configuration files for your email account to determine if it can set up your email account automatically. If it can, you'll see Configuration found at email provider or another similar message. If not, you'll see the Manual Config menu.
- Choose IMAP or POP3 (we recommend IMAP).
- Click Manual Config.
- Change the incoming and outgoing server to mail.example.com, replacing example.com with your domain.
- It will select IMAP without SSL settings by default. For IMAP with SSL*, change the following settings:
- Incoming Port: 993
- Outgoing Port: 465
- SSL: SSL/TLS
- Authentication: Normal password
- Click Re-test.
- Click Done.