Auto-responders allow you to set up automated replies to incoming email. This feature can be useful for confirming the receipt of mail, or for informing correspondents that the recipient is unavailable (for example, while on vacation).
Managing an Autoresponder
To view auto responders for a specific domain on your account, you will need to first access your Autoresponders management page.
Accessing Autoresponder ManagementTo begin, you will need to be logged into your Bluehost control panel.
- Click the Email & Office tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Click the Manage button right next to the email plan you would like to manage autoresponses for.
- Click the MANAGE link for the email address you would like to manage autoresponses for.
- From the I want to... menu to the right, click Automated Responses.
- Select Email from the main menu at the top of your screen.
- From the side menu select Autoresponders.
- Click Add Autoresponder to create a new autoresponder. Or, find a current auto responder and click Edit.
- Enter the Interval, in hours, you wish for the autoresponder to wait between responses to the same email address.
- For example, if you set up an autoresponder with an interval of 24, and you receive an email from email@example.com at 8 am on Monday, the autoresponder will respond to his message immediately. If, however, firstname.lastname@example.org continues to email you throughout the day, the autoresponder will not send him another response for 24 hours after his initial email (in this case, 8 am Tuesday). If he emails you again after the 24-hour interval expires, he will receive an auto response.
- Enter the Email Address your setting up the Autoresponder for.
- In the From field, type the name you want to show in the response.
- In the Subject field, enter the subject you wish to show in the response.
- If the message includes HTML tags, click the HTML Message checkbox.
- In the Body field, type the text of the response.
- Select when you want the Auto Responder to Start and Stop.
- Click the Create/Modify button to save the autoresponder settings.
In the message body, you can include tags, enclosed in percent signs (%). You can use these tags to insert information, such as the incoming email's sender or subject, into the body of the email. Available tags are:
- %subject% — The subject of the message that was sent to the auto responder.
- %from% — The name of the sender of the message received by the auto responder, if available. (If the sender's name was not received, %from% will print the sender's email address.)
- %email% — The sender's email address.
To delete an autoresponder:
- Click Delete next to the appropriate auto responder.
- Click Delete Autoresponder to confirm that the responder should be deleted. If you wish to keep the autoresponder, click Cancel.