How to obtain a Transfer Authorization ( EPP ) Code
Obtain the EPP code
The EPP code, which other registrars may refer to as the Authorization or Auth code, is essentially a unique password for the domain, made up of letters, numbers, and special characters. It's used to prove your ownership of the domain and authorize a domain transfer.
This article describes how to obtain a transfer Authorization Code (Auth Code) for .com, .net, .org, .info, .us, .biz and .name domain names from the most common registrars (ourselves included).
If you are unsure who your registrar is, perform a lookup on the domain name you wish to transfer. Look at the Registrar Information section. This will list your current domain name registrar. Simply follow instructions listed below for that particular registrar to obtain your domain name's authorization code.
Bluehost | 4Domains.com | Address Creation | AIT Domains | AW Registry | BulkRegister.com | Directi™ | DirectNIC | Domain Monger | Dotster® | EnCirca | eNom, Inc. | GoDaddy.com | iPower | Joker.com | Melbourne IT | Names4Ever | NamesDirect | NameScout | NameSecure | NameZero | Network Solutions® | Register.com® | Stargate | Tucows | Verio
Don't see your registrar listed? Check any help or knowledge base available on your current registrar's site. If your registrar doesn't have a an article on Authorization Codes or Auth Codes, email your existing registrar's customer support from the domain's administrative contact address and request your Authorization Code or Auth Code for a particular domain name. If you are told a .ORG, .BIZ, .INFO, .US or .NAME domain name does not have an authorization code, then the registrar is mistaken. Be persistent! Registrars are contractually required to provide auth codes upon registrant request. If you still can't get any where with your current registrar please contact us. We'd be happy to help.
You can retrieve your EPP authorization code for your Bluehost-registered domain from within the Domain Manager.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Go to the Domain menu.
- Scroll down, and select the domain from the list.
- Click on the EPP Transfer tab on the right.
- Copy or otherwise make note of the code so you can give it to the gaining registrar to initiate the transfer request.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Select Domains from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Click the Manage option next to the domain you wish to transfer.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Scroll down to the Transfer Authorization / EPP Code section.
- Choose your preferred email address, and click Send Code.
For this registrar, Auth Code is simply your domain management password.
Email technical support at email@example.com from domain's administrative contact email address requesting domain's Authorization Code.
Send a transfer request via an online support ticket initiated at http://aitdomains.com/tickets.htm. Request that they send domain's Authorization Code.
Email registration support at firstname.lastname@example.org from domain's Administrative email address requesting a domain's Authorization Code.
Email email@example.com from domain's ‘Admin’ contact. If reseller is listed as ‘Admin’ contact, call or email reseller and ask for your domain's Authorization Code (Auth Code).
- Login to Control Panel at http://manage.directi.com/customer
- Go to Domains » Search » Domain Registration Search, and search for domain name that you wish to transfer away.
- In the Orders List View that appears, click on the Domain Name.
- On the next page you would find the "Domain Transfer Secret" which is what Directi calls the Authorization Code.
- Login into account at https://secure.directnic.com/myaccount/.
- Submit a Trouble Ticket requesting domain's Authinfo code. Authorization code is usually first three letters of a domain and the domain id (available by searching for your domain at Registry operator's whois site).
Create a support ticket at http://manage.domainmonger.com/contactus.html requesting your domain's Authorization Code (Auth Code).
- Log into your account at http://www.dotster.com.
- From the Quick List, click on the Domain Name you wish to transfer
- Scroll down to bottom of Domain Detail Page, click "Request Transfer Authorization Code" link to obtain the Auth code. It will be sent to domain's administrative contact email address within minutes.
EnCirca requires registrants to set the auth code themselves. To set an auth code, simply login to your account at https://www.encirca.biz/myaccount/ and modify the domain by selecting the 'modify domain'. Enter your desired auth code into "Authorization Info" box, select 'continue' and then 'commit' to save your changes.
- Login to eNom account at http://www.enom.com/Login.asp
- Choose menu option DOMAINS, my domains
- Click on the link for specific domain name that you wish to work with which brings up the domain control panel.
- On domain control panel, scroll down to UTILITIES, click » Contact/WhoIs Information option.
- At the bottom of the contact info page you will see the domain name authorization key.
If you do not have a direct eNom account, contact your reseller to obtain a domain's Authorization Code. If reseller's name is unknown, go to the eNom "help" page at http://www.enom.com/help/ and enter your domain name in the "Reseller Information Retrieval Tool."
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- In the My Products section, click Domains.
- Click the domain for which you want to retrieve the authorization code.
- In the Authorization Code field, click the Send by Email hyperlink.
- Click OK.
- Click OK again. The code will be sent to the e-mail on file with GoDaddy.
- Go to manage.opensrs.net and enter your Domain Name, Username and Password to your iPower web account.
- Go down to Domain Locking and disable locking
- Then click on Domain Extras and you will be presented with the EPP or authorization code.
Go to the PASSWORD RECOVERY page and enter your domain name. The EPP Code will be emailed to the admin contact.
Transfer Auth Code is your Names4Ever.com account password.
- Log into account at http://www.namesdirect.com/.
- In the Quick List, click on the domain name you wish to transfer.
- Scroll down and click "Request Transfer Authorization Code" link near page bottom to obtain domain's Auth code. It will be emailed directly to domain's administrative email address.
Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org from the domain owner's email address as it appears in their records (consult Whois). In the request, list your domain names and ask that your authorization codes be sent.
Please contact NameSecure Customer Service with a list of your domain names requesting they provide your domain authorization codes.
- Log into account at http://www.namezero.com/.
- Click on the Domain Name you wish to transfer.
- On Domain Detail page, scroll down to bottom and click "Request Transfer Authorization Code" to obtain domain's Auth code. It will be e-mailed to the domain's administrative email address on file.
Call Network Solutions 24 hour support line at (888) 642-9675. Request the Authorization Code for a particular domain. They will send authorization code to the domain's ‘Admin’ contact email address.
Login to your account at http://mydomain.register.com/. Within Account Management, click on a Domain Name to view its details. It's Auth Code is listed on the domain details page.
Login to your account at https://www.stargateinc.com/us/account/login.asp. Click on the link "Get AuthInfo Code."
Remember, the EPP Code is both case and character-specific, so if you choose to copy/paste the code, make sure there aren't any additional spaces at the beginning or end.