How to Copy or Rename a Database
Copying a Database
To copy a database, you will need to export the original database and then import it into a new database.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Under the Database section, select phpMyAdmin.
- Look for the database you wish to export. You may expand the list by clicking the + button on the left.
- Click on the specific database name from the left sidebar.
- Click Export at the top.
- Select the Export method you wish to use.
- Choose the file Format in the drop-down box.
- Click Go. This will download a .sql file to your computer.
- Create a new database in cPanel.
- Go to phpMyAdmin.
- Click the new database name.
- Click Import in the main area of phpMyAdmin.
- Select Choose File.
- Select the database you imported earlier from the drop-down box and click Go.
For security reasons, it's best to upload your database to the
/home/USERNAME section of your account. (Replace USERNAME with your account username.)
The only available way to rename a database is to follow the above direction and import the database to a new, empty database with the desired name.