How to Copy or Rename a Database
How to Copy a Database
To copy a database you will need to export the original database, and then import it into a new database.
How to Export the Original Database
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Under the Database section, select phpMyAdmin.
- Click on the existing database on the left sidebar.
- Click Export at the top.
- Select the export method, and click Go.
- This will download a .sql file to your computer.
How to Import onto a New Database
- Create a new database in cPanel.
- Go to phpMyAdmin.
- Click the new database name.
- Click Import in the main area of phpMyAdmin.
- Select Choose File.
- Select the database you imported earlier from the drop-down box and click Go.
For security reasons, it's best to upload your database to the
/home/USERNAMEsection of your account. (Replace USERNAME with your account username.)
Renaming a Database
Unfortunately, the only way to rename a database is to follow the above direction and import the database to a new, empty database with the desired name.