Managing Databases with Applications
Many applications can be installed on your computer for managing your databases. Here are some suggested applications you may use for that purpose. These applications are supplied by third parties. Some are free, and some require you to purchase a license.
The database management program (application) you choose depends on what type of database you are connected to. All our web hosting plans offer MySQL.
If you do not want to use a desktop application for MySQL, you can use phpMyAdmin in cPanel to manage your database, which can be accessed with a web browser.
Download one of these applications:
- MySQL Workbench from Oracle / MySQL (free or commercial)
- EMS SQL Manager for MySQL (free or commercial)
- EMS SQL Management Studio for MySQL (commercial)
- Navicat (MySQL GUI) (commercial)
- urSQL (shareware)
The applications above are designed for managing databases. Some web development software, like Dreamweaver, can also connect to MySQL remotely. To learn more, please refer to Remote Database Connection Setup. Also, many other applications are available and can be found by using a search engine.
To connect remotely, you will need to whitelist your IP address.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Locate the Remote MySQL icon.
- Click the Advanced tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Click the Remote MySQL icon located in the Databases section.
- Select the cPanel sub-menu from the navigation menu that stretches across the top of your screen.
- Scroll down and select the Remote MySQL icon under the database tools section.
- Under the Add Access Host, located at the top of the page, enter the IP Address inside the "Host (% wildcard is allowed)" infobox.
- You may also enter any preferred comment inside the "Comment (optional)" infobox.
- Once done, click the Add Host button.
How you connect will depend on which program you pick. The website where you downloaded the applications should have instructions on how to connect and use their application.