Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Log Locations On Dedicated/VPS
There are two main locations where logs are kept on Dedicated and VPS servers: the /usr/local/cpanel/logs directory and the /var/log/ directory. Here is a list of the logs common to each directory, as well as some which can be found in other locations on the server.
- access_log: cPanel access log for both cPanel and WHM
- cpbackup directory: logs of recent system backups
- cphulkd.log: Firewall (cPHulk) blocks
- error_log: cPanel error log
- license_log: cPanel license log
- login_log: cPanel user failed login log
- stats_log: cPanel web stats log
- messages: Contains global system messages like mail, cron, daemon, kern, auth, etc.
- bandwidth: cPanel total bandwidth logs for the entire server
- btmp: failed login attempts
- chkservd.log: chkservd service log
- clamav: clamav log directory
- cron: any scheduled tasks, for both root and cPanel users
- cpupdate.log: cPanel update log
- exim_mainlog: Exim email transaction log
- exim_paniclog: Exim error log
- exim_rejectlog: Exim rejected email log
- maillog: Transaction and login log for all mail services
- pgsql: PostgreSQL log file
- secure: authentication logs for both successful or failed logins
- yum.log: updates for system packages
- /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log - Apache error log e.g. some 500 errors.
- /var/cpanel/accounting.log - Account creation, deletion, etc.
- /var/cpanel/logs/mysql_upgrade.log - logs of MySQL upgrades
- /var/cpanel/updatelogs/ directory - cPanel/WHM updates
- /var/lib/mysql/HOSTNAME.err - MySQL error log
cPanel keeps the domain weblogs in the /usr/local/cpanel/domlogs directory for each domain name that is hosted on the server. This includes FTP transfer logs for each account.
Recommended Help Content
Access Mail Logs on Dedicated or VPS Servers
This article will explain how to view the email logs on a Dedicated or VPS server. This may be usefull if you are experiencing trouble with your email.
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We
Common Application Configuration File Locations
An extensive list of the location of the configuration files of the most common web applications
Related Help Content
Raw Access Logs
What are Raw Access Logs and how do I view them?
Error Code 500 on Dedicated and VPS Servers
This article will explain some common causes for 500 errors on Dedicated or V.P.S servers.
Accessing the Mail Folder in the Control Panel
This article will explain where email is stored in your system directory.
Managing Users on a VPS or Dedicated Server
This article will explain how to create and manage users on Dedicated or VPS servers.
Antivirus on Dedicated or VPS servers
If you suspect malicious content, hacks or a virus on your VPS/Dedicated account here are some tools located in your WHM that you can use.
Stopping Display of All files on Web page
How to Stop A Directory Index From Being Shown
What are the Error Logs?
Clearing the Mail Queue on VPS and Dedicated Servers
This article will explain how to clear the outbound mail queue on a dedicated or VPS server.