Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How To Reset MySQL Database User & Password
If you forgot the password to your MySQL database user, you must create a new user with a new password, and then assign that user to the database. Do not worry, this will not erase or change any of the data in your database.
Create a New User
- Log in to your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Click the MySQL Databases icon under the Databases category.
- Locate the MySQL Users section of the MySQL Databases tool. To quickly find this section, click Jump to MySQL Users.
- Under Add New User, enter a username.
Note: The username must be 7 letters or shorter.
- Enter a password in the Password field.
- Retype the password in the Password (Again) field.
- Click Create User.
Assign New User to Database
- Under "Add User to Database", select the newly created user from the User drop-down menu.
- From the Database drop-down menu, select the existing database to which you need the password reset.
- Click Add.
- From the MySQL Account Maintenance screen, select the privileges you wish to grant the user, or select ALL PRIVILEGES.
- Click Make Changes.
Re-configuring your code
Now that you have a new user and password for your database, you will need to update your configuration file. Update the file to reflect the new database username and password and your site should now be working as it was before.
Instead of resetting your password, you may be able to find the existing password in your configuration file. If you are not sure where your configuration file is, check this list of different scripts to find its location: Location of Script Configuration Files
Recommended Help Content
Change a MySQL Users Password
This article will explain how to change or reset the password for a MySQL user.
Setting a Password for the Main MySQL User
I am prompted to set a new MySQL password. What does this mean and how do I change it?
How to Create and Delete MySQL Databases and Users
This article will explain MySQL database and user creation and deletion, and explain how to assign a user to a database.
Related Help Content
How to reset various passwords associated with your account
MySQL Database and user name convention
I cannot connect to my database locally or remotely, do I have the correct server, username and password?
Office 365: Temporary Password and Password Resets
How to use temporary passwords and reset the password for a user's account.
How to Reset your FTP Password
How to reset the password for FTP users.
Reset a WordPress Password with phpMyadmin
This article explains how to reset a lost WordPress password using phpMyAdmin.
How to Reset Your Login Password
How do I change my Control Panel password?
MySQL Database Access Outside of cPanel
How do I grant permissions to cPanel for my MySQL database administrator without giving them the domain password?
Connecting Scripts to MySQL Databases
This article will explain how to connect your scripts to your MySQL databases.