As a website owner, you want to make an impact on your visitors. Whether you’re looking to inspire them or encourage them to take action, you want visitors to feel something when they land on your website. You can communicate that message through strong website copy. Keep the following tips in mind when writing your site’s page copy.
Define Your Audience
Before you decide what to say, you have to know who your audience is. Don’t try to talk to everyone, or you’ll end up talking to no one. Instead, focus on the bulk of your website visitors.
The 80/20 rule in marketing says that 20 percent of your visitors are responsible for 80 percent of your sales. Focus on the 20 percent that’s most likely to take action. Consider demographics like:
- Family status
How does all of this affect their decision-making process? What is your audience motivated by? By considering all of this, you’ll have a better idea of how to present your product and mission to your audience.
Tip: Don’t assume that you know your audience. Take a hard look at historical data to see who is actually interacting with you. If you’re just starting out and don’t have data to look at, explore competitors’ audiences to get a good idea of who will be coming to you.
Talk to Your Reader, and Connect With Their Problems
One of the biggest mistakes new website owners make is thinking their website is about them. It’s not. It’s about your customers and how you can solve their problems.
Don’t say this: “We’re a Miami-based florist known for our quick delivery times.”
Say this: “Get your flowers delivered anywhere in Miami in under two hours.”
While both of these sentences convey the same message (that you’ll deliver flowers fast in the Miami area), the second positions your message in a way that speaks closely to the reader.
Be sure to also focus on the benefits of your offer. Readers want to know, “What’s in it for me?” and “How will this solve my problem?” Answer those questions for them in your website copy.
Cut the Fluff
There’s no hard-fast rule on how long you need your website copy to be. Yes, longer content can perform better on search engines, but at the same time, shorter copy can perform better with visitors.
It’s not about how many words you write. It’s about what you say.
Your website copy should answer questions like:
- What is the offer?
- Who is the offer for?
- What makes you different?
- What’s the cost?
- Why is this credible?
- How do I take action?
Again, it’s all about the reader. Don’t waste your home page and services page copy discussing the history of your business—unless it’s going to help you convert visitors. For example, you might mention if your company has been in the wine-making business for 200 years because it adds credibility. For the most part, however, you can save that for your about page.
Don’t try to educate visitors in your copy, either. Save that for your blog posts. Telling them why they need a good wedding photographer, for example, will only crowd your site copy and reduce the impact of your message.
By the time someone lands on your site, they already know they need services like yours, but that doesn’t mean they’re ready to buy from you yet. It’s your job to show them why you’re the business for the job.
Focus on what they need to know to make a buying decision. Note: Don’t forget to cover yourself with disclaimers whenever necessary.
Tell Readers Where to Go Next
Once you’ve captured your audience’s attention, you want them to take action, such as by contacting you for a consultation or by purchasing your product. Capture their attention through bold calls-to-action that speak to their wants and needs.
Say you’re a company selling beauty products for clear skin. What is your readers’ main motivation? Of course, they want clear, beautiful skin. Leverage that in your call to action. In this case, you might say, “Get Clear Skin Today,” or, “Start Your Journey to Clear Skin.” Then, link to your product page where they can explore your skin products.
Otherwise, if you have an enticing offer, use that to encourage action. For example, you might say, “Claim Your Free Sample Package.” Through calls to action like this, you can direct readers exactly where you want them to go to drive sales.
Remember That People Can Come to Your Site Through Any Page
Finally, keep in mind that only about 40 percent of your audience will start on your home page. The other 60 percent will come to your site through blog posts or links to other landing pages.
Because of this, you may have to repeat your most important points on multiple pages. Try to switch up the wording for those who are browsing several pages of your site, but remember that not everyone will take the same path through your site, and you’ll have to adjust your copy for that.
With these tips in mind, you can write more effective website copy to get your readers to take action. Feel free to test different versions of your copy to see what resonates best with your audience.