How to Claim your Free Google My Business Listing
Claim Your Free Google My Business Listing with Bluehost
Google My Business is a free tool that lets business owners manage how their local business appears across Google products, like Maps and Search.
If you’re a business that serves customers at a particular location or within a designated service area, through a Google My Business listing, you can better connect with potential and current customers online by sharing valuable information about your business within your listing, such as contact and location details, customer reviews, company updates, event details, special offers and more.
Note: Check back often to Google My Business by Bluehost to discover new features and options for enhancing your listing.
Who is a Good Fit for Google My Business?
Google My Business is a tool designed for local businesses who visit customers in a local service area (e.g., an electrician) or whose customers may visit the business at a particular location (e.g., a retail store).
For online businesses, bloggers, or other nation-wide service providers who do not serve customers in a local service area, other marketing tools like Google Ads and Bluehost SEO (Search Engine Optimization) are recommended for reaching customers as these business types are unlikely to be approved by Google’s final review process.
Note: Is your business located outside the US or Canada?: Currently, Google My Business listings via Bluehost may be set up and verified only for businesses located in the United States and Canada. For other countries, it is recommended to first set up your location directly through Google My Business, then connect your Bluehost account to import your location and manage updates from within Bluehost.)
How to Claim Your Listing
Through your Bluehost account, you can conveniently set up and claim your free business listing. To get started, you will need a Gmail account to associate with your business listing and connect your Bluehost account.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Click the My Sites tab from the side navigation menu to the left, then select Manage Site.
- Select the Marketing Center tab.
- Select the Google My Business tab.
- Click Get Started.
- Connect and authorize your Google account to manage your listing
Note: In order to make updates to your listing, Bluehost authorization must be granted. You may also remove this permission at any time.
- Enter your business information.
- Choose a verification method. You will be provided one or more options for verifying your business.
Note: In most cases, a postcard will be sent to your address within 5 days. Your company may also be able to benefit from faster ways to verify, such as by email, phone, or auto-verification.
- Once received, enter your PIN. If applicable, return to Bluehost to enter your PIN using the Verify Location link.
- Once verified, you may begin managing your profile.
Common Ways to Manage Your Google My Business Profile via Bluehost
- Insights - View the Insights tab to view your listing traffic data and learn how customers are discovering your profile
- Google Reviews - Visit the Reviews tab to reply to a review from your customers directly from your Bluehost account.
- Posts - Visit the Posts tab to share important updates about your business. Whether it’s sharing “What’s New,” details about an upcoming event, a special offer or special alert related to COVID-19, or your latest blog post, Bluehost enables you to publish posts directly to your listing.
Note: Be patient. Your post may take a few minutes to display on your listing.
Using Posts for Your Google My Business Listing
Through Bluehost, business owners can share valuable updates about their business on their Google My Business listing. There are a number of post types available.
Tip: Using images in posts - To include an image in your post, you must provide a URL for the image. It is recommended to upload your image to your WordPress Media Library located in your WordPress main menu. Learn more about how below.
- “What’s New” - Does your company have news to share? Share a message, image, and button link with your customers on your listing.
- Events - Does your company have an upcoming event? Share event details, such as date, time, and registration URL, with your customers through an Event post.
- Offers - Is your company running a promotion or looking to increase site traffic? Use an Offer post to provide promotion details, such as start and end dates, a coupon code, a redemption link, along with terms and conditions.
- Alert - To share your business status and special alerts related to current events, such as COVID-19, use the Alert post type.
Adding Images to Your Posts
To add an image to your post, you will be required to enter the link or URL of the image (vs. uploading an image from your computer). There are several ways you can accomplish this, including:
- Right-click an image in your browser to copy and paste the link address (URL)
- Upload an image to your WordPress Media Library (found within your WordPress dashboard menu). Then click the image in your library to view the URL.
- Upload the image to a third-party platform, then copy and paste the link.