How to Change Your Name Servers
Creating custom name servers can be easily done in the Domain Manager. However, before you begin, there are some things to consider:
- Are you going to use us to host the website?
- Would A Records and/or Cnames be more suitable?
When you update Nameservers, you are determining who will control your domain's DNS management.
Accessing Name Server Settings
Once you have logged into your Bluehost account:
- Click the Domains tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Next to the domain name you wish to update, click the ▼ icon next to Manage, then choose DNS from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select the DNS tab.
- In the Name Servers section, click the Edit button.
- For Setup Type, select the Custom Nameservers toggle, and enter the nameservers for your account.
- Click the Save button to save changes when finished.
- Click the Domains tab from the navigation menu at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Domain Management boxes towards the bottom right-hand corner of the page.
- Make sure that the correct domain has a checkmark next to it in the "please select a domain" (bottom left) box.
- Click the name servers tab in the "domain summary" (bottom right) box.
- Select the Use Custom Nameservers toggle, and enter the nameservers for your account.
- Click the save nameserver settings button to save changes when finished.
If you wish to use Bluehost name servers, come back at any time and simply choose the Bluehost or Use Default Nameservers toggle instead. Please note, name server settings can only be managed for domains registered with Bluehost.
For more information on other DNS records, please see How to Modify your DNS Records.