Email Application Setup: Mozilla Thunderbird 78
Mozilla Thunderbird 78 is an open-source email client and can be used as an alternative to Microsoft Outlook. It is available as a free download from their website.
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird. If you are launching it for the first time, you will see the window as shown below. If you have already configured some other email accounts on Thunderbird, you can click on File Menu > New > Get a New Mail account to see the window as shown below.
Click on Skip this and use my existing mail.
- Enter your name, email address, and password. Check Remember password and click on Configure manually.
- You will see that the system automatically pops up your non-SSL hostnames in the format smtp.example.com and imap.example.com.
Refer to the Email Client Settings below, and based on your preferences, enter the respective hostnames, port numbers, and encryption methods for the Incoming Mail and Outgoing Mail servers.
SSL Email Port Settings Outgoing Server SMTP smtp.domainname.com Port 26/587 Incoming Server IMAP imap.domainname.com Port 993 Incoming Server POP pop.domainname.com Port 995 Non-SSL Email Port Settings Outgoing Server SMTP mail.domainname.com Port 25/587 Incoming Server IMAP mail.domainname.com Port 143 Incoming Server POP mail.domainname.com Port 110
- As mentioned earlier, we are using SSL Hostnames for SMTP and IMAP protocols.
Click on Re-test after entering the settings to see if the configuration is successful, and then click on Done.
- You can now send and receive emails from your Email Client.