Free WordPress Migration
Starting on April 23, Bluehost began offering free website migrations for qualifying WordPress websites within the first 30 days after signup. The offer includes the transfer of one WordPress website and the ability to review the site before it goes live.
This offer will be available for a limited time, starting April 23, 2020.
- Transfer of one WordPress.org site
- Additional sites must be covered under a paid website transfer*
- Additional WordPress sites nested in sub-directories count against this quota.
- Emails are not included.
- Transfer completion estimated 2-3 days after receiving valid previous hosting credentials
Please note: Domain name transfers are not included. If you need to transfer your domain name, please see Transferring a Domain Name to Us.
|Customer Qualification||Website Qualification|
If you do not qualify for the free migration offer, you can still request a professional migration. To learn more about how Bluehost can give you peace of mind and save you the hassle of moving your website, please visit our Professional Services page.
Signing up for the Free WordPress Migration Offer
You will be able to claim your free migration through our site at signup or within the first 30 days of signing up from the Marketplace.
Note: Some Images or Pages may not be displayed on the Temporary URL if their links reference the domain name, which is normal. These images and links should work properly after you have completed the steps below.
- Log in to the destination account (the account that you want to migrate to).
- Click Marketplace, then choose Professional Services.
- Click Pro Services from the side navigation menu to the left, then click on the Site Migration tile.
- Under the Free Site Migration option, agree to the free migration terms and conditions, then click Get Started Now.
- Enter the domain name into the entry field, and check compatibility.
This checks to see if your site is a WordPress site. If you use a CDN, it may interfere, in which case, you can log in to your dashboard to proceed.
- Once compatibility has been verified, you will need to log in to your WordPress admin dashboard and install the Bluehost Site Migrator plugin.
Warning: The plugin must be installed and activated on the completed WordPress site that is being migrated, NOT the new WordPress installation content that is being migrated to.
- Once the plugin is installed and activated, a menu item will appear on the left-hand side menu titled Site Migrator.
- Click Site Migrator. If the screen is blank, scroll down, and the content should appear.
- Click check compatibility.
If the compatibility check fails, the site may be too large. In that case, you will need to purchase a paid migration.
- Click through the prompted steps after checking compatibility.
The process can occasionally still fail at this point. If generating backups fails, it’s most likely that you have run out of disk space. If you see a message saying, “It looks like your site didn’t transfer,” the server you are currently hosted on is most likely too slow to connect to our server to transfer the files.
- Once you have logged in after clicking on the final link provided by the plugin, you will verify the account you are migrating to. The Source Domain and the Destination account (where you are migrating to) will be presented. After confirming that you are logged into the correct Destination account, click Proceed.
Note: If you are not logged into the correct Destination account, simply log out of your current Bluehost account and reinitiate the migration process by navigating to the Migration Plugin and logging into the correct Bluehost account.
- Once the transfer is complete, you will be able to Review and Approve your Site on a temporary URL within MySites.
- After clicking “Approve Site,” we will make the final adjustments on our side to finalize the transfer of your website to Bluehost.
Note: After this step, you will no longer be able to preview your site using the Temporary Domain from the previous step.
- The final step is to Connect Your Domain! Contact your Hosting Provider for your Domain name to change your name servers to the correct Bluehost name servers. Click here for more information.
Important note: Updating your Nameservers can overwrite any Custom DNS settings that may exist for your domain name. Please contact your Hosting Provider to determine if your domain is using custom DNS to manage Email, Subdomains, Newsletters, or other services in order to prevent these services from being impacted.
Pro Tip! If you need further assistance with your WordPress website after it has been migrated, our WP Live Pro Team can teach you more about managing and building your site.
If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us via Chat or Phone:
- Chat Support - While you are on our website, you should see a CHAT bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of the page. Click anywhere on the bubble to begin a chat session.
- Phone Support -
- US: 888-401-4678
- International: +1 801-765-9400
You may also refer to our Knowledge Base articles to help answer common questions and guide you through various setup, configuration, and troubleshooting steps.