How to Reset a Microsoft 365 Password
Resetting a Microsoft 365 password helps you get back into your account if you forget your password. It keeps your account safe from hackers. Changing your password often is a good way to protect your information.
After purchasing a Microsoft 365 license and assigning a user to that license, the user is provided a temporary password, which they must copy to their clipboard manually. Bluehost only issues temporary passwords to Microsoft 365 subscribers as a measure of increased security.
Use the provided temporary password to log in to Microsoft for the first time. After logging in for the first time, Microsoft will prompt users to set their own custom password.
If a user has failed to save their temporary password, they must reset their password to receive a new temporary password.
To reset your Microsoft 365 password, follow these steps:
- Go to the Microsoft 365 sign-in page and select Can't access your account?.
- On the User verification page, enter your work or school account name, complete the verification prompt, and click Next.
- Choose Email as the contact method for verification.
- Open the Microsoft 365 browser window and check your alternate email for the verification code.
- Return to the Microsoft 365 browser window and enter the verification code.
- Enter and confirm a new password, then click Finish.
- When you receive confirmation that your password has been reset, click the link on the confirmation page and sign in to Microsoft 365 with your new password.
Alternatively, if a Microsoft 365 user needs to reset their password, the administrator can take the following steps to know how to reset a Microsoft 365 password and provide said user with a new temporary password:
- Log in to your Bluehost Account Manager.
- Navigate to Microsoft 365: Logging in to Microsoft 365.
- From the Office 365 management page, find the user whose password needs to be reset.
- On the right-hand side of that user’s management tile, open the ellipses “...” menu and click Reset Password.
- Copy the newly generated temporary password to your clipboard.
- Distribute the copied password to the user.
The user can then log in to the Microsoft portal with the temporary password. Once logged into Microsoft, users can change a temporary password in Microsoft 365 and choose their password.
Creating a strong password for Microsoft 365 is important to keep your account secure. Here are some tips to help you create a strong password:
- Use a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Avoid using personal information such as your name, birth date, or phone number.
- Make your password at least 8 characters long.
- Use a unique password for each account you have.
- Consider using a password manager to generate and store strong passwords.
Remember, a strong password is one of the best ways to protect your Microsoft 365 account against unauthorized access or hacking attempts.
Bluehost no longer provides Microsoft 365 (Office 365) services. However, for existing accounts that still utilize this service, it is important to remember how to manage temporary passwords, reset passwords, and create strong passwords. Temporary passwords are provided to Microsoft 365 subscribers as a measure of increased security, and users must save them to log in to Microsoft for the first time.
If a user has failed to save their temporary password, they must know how to reset a Microsoft 365 password to receive a new temporary password. Create a strong password for Microsoft 365; remember, a strong password is one of the best ways to protect your Microsoft 365 account against unauthorized access or hacking attempts.