Some Internet Service Providers (ISP) do not recognize our data packets as they are slightly altered. Bluehost's firewall is very restrictive to protect our users. Occasionally, our firewall does not recognize the connection as a valid connection which is why the FTP connection slows down. To eliminate this problem, use Secure FTP. To use Secure FTP, apply for SSH Access.
A free FTP client that will handle Secure FTP is Filezilla. It can be downloaded from filezilla.sourceforge.net.
Now launch Filezilla and the following will walk you through how to set it up correctly.
- Click File and open the site manager.
- Click the new site button.
- Enter a name for the new site.
- Enter the following settings:
Host Your Domain Name or server IP address. Port 21 Protocol Use plain FTP Encryption FTP - File Transfer Protocol Logon Type: Ask for Password User: Your control panel username or the username of an FTP account
- Click the transfer settings tab.
- Then select Limit number or simultaneous connections and set the limit to 8.
- Click the connect button.
- You will be prompted for your password; enter it, and click OK.
When you need to re-connect again, just go to the Site Manager in Filezilla and choose the appropriate connection. Check out this article for more information about FTP Setup using Secure FTP (SFTP).