VPS & Dedicated Hosting: Antivirus
If you suspect malicious content, hacks or a virus on your VPS/Dedicated account here are some tools located in your WHM that you can use. You will need to be able to login to your WHM. If you haven't done this before, please see How to login in to WHM.
If this is your first time logging into the WHM you may see a page titled "Feature Showcase". Click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page.
Once logged in:
- In the top left search bar type "Manage Plugins", then click on the Manage Plugins link.
- Under ClamAV click on "Install and keep updated" then scroll down and press save to start the install. This can take some time depending on how much CPU you have to spare.
- Once the install is done perform another search for "Configure ClamAV Scanner". Go to the configuration page and make sure all boxes are checked.
- Go to the Feature Manager.
- Edit the feature list to show the "Virus Scanner".
- Now you are ready to start the scan. From the cPanel, in the advanced group of icons, you should see an icon now called "Virus Scanner". Click on it.
- Choose what you would like to scan. Keep in mind that "Scan Entire Home Directory" would scan the entire cPanel account, but will use the most CPU and might result in slowness.
Using systems like Cloudflare can help block hackers before they can access your site as well.
Most of the vulnerabilities a hacker uses to gain access to your home directory or public_html folder are located in your website scripts. Making sure scripts are up to date, as well as any plugins and mods, can be very helpful in keeping security tight on your system.
To learn more about ClamAV, please see ClamAV.