This article will explain how-to restart your Dedicated or VPS server.
Note: When possible, it's best to restart only the service having issues on your server instead of restarting the entire server.
Restarting a Single Service
To begin, you will need to log in to WHM. If you have never done this before, please see Log in to WHM.
Note: If this is your first time logging into the WHM, you may see a page titled "Feature Showcase." Click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page.
Once logged in:
- In the top-left search bar, type "Restart."
- Under the Restart Services, select the service you want to restart.
Tip: If you aren't sure which service to restart, you can restart each service one at a time to see if it resolves your issue.
- Click the Yes button to restart the service.
- Wait for the service to be restarted, then check if your issue has been resolved.
Restarting the Server
The server can be quickly restarted from your Bluehost Account Manager.
Note: If you have tried to restart individual services and still need to do a full system reboot, it's best to contact support so we can watch the server reboot safely. Occasionally, a reboot can fail and cause unintended problems like "FSCK" and other data loss and corruption types. FSCK (file system consistency check) is a command that is usually run non-interactively to preen the file systems after an abrupt system halt. The latest file system changes were not written to disk. Preening automatically fixes any basic file system inconsistencies and does not try to repair more serious errors.
- Login to your Bluehost Account Manager
- Click the hosting tab from the navigation menu that stretches across the top of your screen.
- Click on the performance from the sub-menu.
- From the side navigation menu to the left, click the server management on the left side.
- Click the reboot button.
The server is: status should change from running to "Rebooting."
Once the reboot is finished, it should change back to running. Then you can check if your issue has been resolved.
If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us via Chat or Phone:
- Chat Support - While on our website, you should see a CHAT bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of the page. Click anywhere on the bubble to begin a chat session.
- Phone Support -
- US: 888-401-4678
- International: +1 801-765-9400
You may also refer to our Knowledge Base articles to help answer common questions and guide you through various setup, configuration, and troubleshooting steps.