WordPress: Adding Users
When using WordPress, you may need to give more than one user access to edit your site or blog. You can create multiple users for WordPress and give each user a different role.
Before you create a user, you should understand the types of users that WordPress allows you to create. There are five categories of WordPress users:
- Administrator - This user has access to all of the administrative functions for the WordPress site.
- Editor - This user can publish and manage posts, including posts created by other users.
- Author - This user can manage and publish their own posts, but not those of other users.
- Contributor - This user can write and manage posts but cannot publish them. They need to be published by a higher user.
- Subscriber - This user can only view the site and manage their own profile.
Now that you understand the types of users follow these steps to create a user.
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard.
- From the side navigation menu to the left, choose Users.
- This screen will show you all the existing users.
- Click Add New to create a new one.
- On this page, you will need to enter the information for your new user, such as username, email, and setting up a password.
- Check the box for Send this password to the new user by email. Make sure that you have entered the new user’s email correctly.
- Choose the role that you want to assign to this user.
- Click Add New User when finished.