A redemption period occurs when a domain has been expired for 45 days. This 30-day redemption period provides the most recent registrant an opportunity to renew the domain before the domain is released back into the general pool of domains available for anyone to register. There is a fee, required by ICANN, to renew a domain out of the redemption holding period, which is paid to the registry itself and it cannot be waived.
- Registration: Domains are registered for a term of 1 year.
- Domain Expiration: If the domain is allowed to expire, it can still be renewed for up to 31 days without any additional fees.
- Redemption Holding Period: The domain will enter redemption on day 32. If you choose to renew your domain during this time, the redemption fee will be added to your registration renewal.
- The redemption grace period lasts 45 days.
- There is a fee to restore a domain from Redemption status. This fee cannot be waived or refunded.
- A domain will be considered abandoned if it is not redeemed. The registrar may exercise its right to auction, sell, delete or dispose of the name at any time.
- eNom can put a domain into an "extended redemption grace period" for up to a year while they try to auction it off. If it doesn't sell, they'll let it go.
- Pending Delete: If the domain is not redeemed and renewed within the redemption period, the Registry will be notified to delete the record, making it available for public registration.
"Pending Delete" refers to the 5-day time frame after redemption, during which time the registry holds the domain prior to deletion. The domain cannot be recovered during this time. Once the Registry deletes the registration, it will become available for anyone to purchase as a new domain. It will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Should you choose to renew your domain after its been expired for 32 days or more, the redemption fee will be added to your renewal. We cannot waive the redemption fee, which is paid in addition to the domain renewal fee, for any reason because it is required to pull the domain out of the holding period and is paid to the registry itself. Once the payment is processed, neither the domain renewal nor the redemption fee are refundable for any reason. The redemption fee varies per registrar.
Please be aware that it may take up to 72 hours for the domain to be manually pulled out of Redemption once the fee has been paid, during which time the domain will not be active. If it has been more than 72 hours since the redemption and renewal fees were paid and the domain is still not working, please contact us for assistance.
For current domain renewal and redemption fees, please visit our domain pricing page.