Website Builder (for WordPress) - How to Unpublish your Website
This article applies to the Bluehost Website Builder (for WordPress). For information about using the Bluehost Builder (our express website editor not connected to WordPress), please see Bluehost Builder - How to Un-publish or Reset your Website.
If you are unsure which version you are using, please see Bluehost Website Builder (for WordPress) vs. Bluehost Builder for more information.
Unpublishing your site or taking it offline means it's unavailable to the public but still available for you to work on until it's ready to publish again.
To begin, you will need to access your Bluehost Website Builder.
Unpublishing your Website
- Click the My Sites tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Locate the Bluehost Website Builder website you want to work on.
- Click Log in to WordPress button to load the WordPress dashboard.
- Click Plugins from the side navigation menu to the left.
- From here, select Add New.
- Type "coming soon" or "maintenance" in the search bar to see a list of plugins. Two popular and free plugins for this are SeedProd and CMP.
- Choose your plugin, install it, and then activate it.
- You'll see the plugin appear in your left navigation bar. Under that plugin's General settings, you'll see a Status section.
Most plugin status options will be something like "coming soon/maintenance mode" and "disable." (Exact wording for these options might change from plugin to plugin.)
- Select "coming soon/maintenance mode," and save changes if you have that prompt below your selections.
- That's it - your site is now unpublished.