Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How To Change Your Primary Domain
If you have a Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting, or Dedicated Hosting account, Bluehost is happy to help you change the primary domain on your account. Please review the following information prior to starting the rename process.
WordPress Optimized Hosting (OHWP) plans cannot be renamed.
- What You Should Know Before Renaming Your Account
- How to Rename Your Account
- Get New Domain and Protect your Brand
What You Should Know Before Renaming Your Account
- The process can take 20 mins to 5 hours, depending on the size of your account.
- Usernames, passwords, files and databases will remain unchanged.
- Despite this, we recommend that you backup the websites and databases then download them to your computer.
- Website files for both domains involved may need to be moved in order for the sites to function after the rename. You will need to move files for the new primary domain into the public_html directory and files for the old main domain in a subfolder of public_html. The old primary domain can be assigned to this subfolder after the rename is complete.
This will be your responsibility to do, and may cause some site files, scripts or other applications to break, requiring modification to work with the new site location.
- The new primary domain will point to the public_html directory itself (the same way the primary domain does currently).
- Forwarders on these domains will be deleted.
- Any custom DNS changes made to either of these domains will be lost and will need to be redone. Cloudflare will also be deactivated on these domains.
This will most likely only take a few minutes, but it could take up to a few hours.
- This will break the ability to publish a Weebly site on the old and new primary domain (if the customer has ever logged into Weebly).
How to Rename Your AccountWhen you are ready to have your account renamed, simply contact us by phone or chat. Be sure to include the following information to expedite the request:
- Primary Domain
- New Primary Domain
- Last four characters of cPanel password
- Confirm that you have read and understand account rename information (e.g.: "I have read and understand the account rename information including: my username will not change and I have backed up my files/databases in case there is any data lost during the rename process.")
Newly registered and renewed domain names cannot be canceled for a refund.
Get New Domain and Protect your Brand
Protect your brand by buying a variation of your current domain. See domain availability.
Recommended Help Content
Manually Changing the Domain of Your WordPress Site
How to change the name of your WordPress site without WP Tools
Email Accounts - Change the Mailbox Size Quota
Where do I Change my Mailbox (Size) Quota? How do I Increase or Decrease Mailbox (Storage) Quota?
How To Host Primary Domain From A Subfolder htaccess
How do I make a sub directory (or sub folder) act as the public_html for your main domain?
Related Help Content
Domain Privacy for .us Domains
The WHOIS database shows my personal information for my .us domain names. How do I get privacy for the .us domain?
Restrict subdomain access to addon domains
How do I stop people from being able to use the addon domain as a subdomain of the primary domain?
Restrict Access to Addon Domains through the Main Domain
I do not want to see addon.maindomain.com. How do I do that?
How To Change Name Servers NS
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, .
How To Unassign A Domain Name
This article will explain how to un-assign a domain name from your account.
New Account Experience - FAQ
I received an email that my account was migrating; when I log in, my interface looks different. Why did this change? This article will cover some commonly asked questions about the new experience.
About Domain Names
You need two things to have a successful website and professional email: a domain registration and a hosting account.
How To Transfer Domain Name To Bluehost
Maintaining your domain registration and hosting services within the same account allows you to manage both services with only one login password, making it easier for you to stay on top of everything related to your website. This article explains the process to transfer your domain to [% provinfo.n