File Manager - How to Create, Remove, and Edit Files
This article is part of our File Manager tutorial series. Please see the links below if you want a different explanation of the File Manager.
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel.
- Click the Hosting tab from the side navigation.
- Under Quick Links, click on File Manager.
- Log in to your Bluehost account.
- Click on the Advanced tab from the side navigation menu to the left, then click on the File Manager icon.
Once you're logged in to your account and accessed the File Manager, follow the next steps:
Creating a File
- Click the +File button at the top left of the page.
- In the popup box, enter the newly created file. Files will have a name and extension separated by a dot, and Files without an extension will be rendered as a generic text document.
- Click the Create New File button.
Creating a Folder
- Click the +Folder button at the top left of the page.
- In the popup box, enter the newly created folder name.
- Click the Create New Folder button.
- Click and highlight the file or folder you want to remove in the File Listing on your File Manager.
- From the Toolbar, click the Delete button.
Alternatively, highlight the file or folder and right-click your mouse to show a drop-down menu. Click Delete.
- On the popup window, an option says, "Skip the trash and permanently delete the files." If you leave the checkbox unchecked, you can view and restore your deleted files under View Trash in the Toolbar.
- Once the preferred selection is selected, click the Confirm button on the popup box to proceed.
- On File Manager, locate the file name you want to edit, then click and highlight the file.
- Click the Edit icon from the Toolbar, and a popup window will appear.
Alternatively, highlight the file or folder and right-click your mouse to show a drop-down menu. Click Edit, and then the same popup window will appear.
- Click the Edit button on the popup window to open the code editor.
- Once you finish editing your document, click Save Changes before closing the editor.