VPS & Dedicated Hosting: Managing Backups with SFTP
There are a few options to consider when downloading or deleting the server backups on a VPS or Dedicated Server. The first will be how-to manage it with SFTP. To do this, you'll need an FTP client. In this article, we will use Filezilla.
- Go to File in the top left and select Site Manager.
- Now click New Site. You'll need to enter the following information:
- Host: Your Server IP
- Protocol: SFTP
- Logon Type: Normal
- Username: root
- Password: your root password
- Once you have entered the information, click Connect.
- Once connected, you will be taken to /root (which is the root users directory; you can't do much in there); go up a directory.
- Now that you're at / you can navigate to the backup directory and then the cpbackup directory.
- If you are using Legacy Backup (the default backup manager), you'll want to go to /backup/cpbackup
- If you are using Backup Configuration, then you'll want to go to /backup
- In the /backup/cpbackup directory, you will find a daily, weekly, and monthly directory. Depending on which backups you have running, you'll want to go to the directory for them. By default, daily and monthly backups are running. So if you want to modify your daily backup, you'd go to the daily directory.
- The file you want to get will be username.tar.gz, username would be the account's Username. Once you're there, you can drag and drop the file to where you want to download it or delete it if that is your purpose.
It is strongly recommended that you download anything before you delete it. Deleting any of your files is a bad idea unless you know what it is, you have got a backup, or you are 100% sure it's not needed.