Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Unable to Assign Domain via Domain Manager
There are a handful of possible reasons you cannot add or assign a domain to your account through the Domain Manager. Let's go through the causes and see which one applies to your situation.
- The number one reason a domain cannot be added is that it fails to verify ownership. Make sure you have followed one of the required methods to confirm ownership.
- Have you changed the name servers (NS) or created an A record for the domain you are attempting to assign? If you have changed the NS or A Record, it is possible enough time has not been allowed for DNS propagation. Please give it at least thirty minutes.
- If you chose to create the page to verify ownership and it's still not verifying, it's possible that our system is blocked from querying that page.
- It's also possible that the “text” you are supposed to enter is not correct. It is case sensitive. For example, 0e259158 is different from 0E259158.
- If you chose to send a verification code to the email address and it didn't come through, there is a high possibility that your email service provider is greylisting the email because they think it's spam. There are two ways to resolve this. Change the Admin and Registrant email in the whois or contact us to have a support agent resend the email.
- If you received an error message that informs you the domain is associated with another account you will need to remove it from the other account. (You will need to contact the account holder). If you recently purchased the domain, either from a new purchase or an auction, and you cannot get the domain removed from their account, you will need to contact support. You will also be asked to provide proof that you own the domain. It can take 3 days or longer to resolve due to legal protocols.
If you have not yet changed the NS record, please change it to point to:
- Primary NameServer: ns1.Bluehost.com
- Secondary NameServer: ns2.Bluehost.com
Allow up to 24-48 hours for DNS propagation.
Recommended Help Content
What Is The Difference Between Addon Domain, Parked Domain & Subdomain?
What is the difference between parked domains and addon domains?
How To Assign A Domain Name - A Record, Name Servers, HTML Page
How do I setup an addon domain or parked domain in my hosting account?
Newly Parked Domain is Not Functioning
I have already parked the domain, but it does not seem to be functioning, what is wrong?
Related Help Content
How To Unassign A Domain Name
This article will explain how to un-assign a domain name from your account.
Parked Domain Definition
What are parked domains?
What Is An Addon Domain And How Does It Work?
What is an Addon domain?
Restrict Access to Addon Domains through the Main Domain
I do not want to see addon.maindomain.com. How do I do that?
Where to Upload Files for an Addon Domain
I have setup a pointed/addon domain, where should I upload the files for this domain?
Restrict subdomain access to addon domains
How do I stop people from being able to use the addon domain as a subdomain of the primary domain?
What Is A Subdomain And How Does It Work? How To Create A Subdomain
Can I make subdomains for my addon domains on the account?
FTP for Addon Domains and Subdomains
How do I FTP to my addon domains and subdomains without interfering with my main account.