Why Choose WordPress to Build Your Website?
If you’ve been putting off the decision to set up a website for your small business because you assume it will be complicated or time-consuming, don’t worry. Creating a personal website or an eCommerce site is remarkably easy to set up on a WordPress content management platform (CMS). In fact, most people can go from start to finish in about 30 minutes — without any advanced tech skills or special training. WordPress is the perfect drag-and-drop website builder.
Here is a brief overview of the steps to take to get your WordPress website started.
- Pick a domain name.
- Choose a hosting provider & package.
- Install WordPress & choose your theme.
- Learn WordPress Dashboard & pick your WordPress plugins.
- Customize website.
You’ve decided to create a website and want to use WordPress as your website platform. Now what?
Here’s how to create a WordPress website in five quick steps.
Step One: Getting Started and Choosing a Domain Name
Before you can begin building your website, choosing your domain name is one of the most important parts as this is how your audience will find you and identify with your brand.
Your domain name is what people type into their browser to get to your website. Though it’s tempting to choose something funny or flashy, pick a domain that both represents your brand and makes it easy for people to find you.
For example, “bobsmithwelding.com” is better than “bobdoesmetalwork.com” because searchers that are looking for Bob by name or for welding services are more likely to find him.
After you have picked your domain, you will need to buy your name and pick a hosting company that suits the needs of your website. Since you are building a website on WordPress, choosing a hosting provider that offers hosting specifically for WordPress site is ideal. This way you can purchase your domain name and hosting service from the same provider. Luckily, Bluehost offers both and is recommended by WordPress!
Step Two: Choose Your Package and Set Up Your Hosting Account
Bluehost offers a couple of hosting packages from our standard WordPress plans to our fully managed WordPress hosting plans. Once you have established your domain name, you’ll need to create an account for your hosting plan.
- Enter your personal information into each field and then scroll down to the package lists
- Choose an option that fits your budget and service needs. Prices vary across hosting providers, but most offer add-ons, like extra security features, tools to boost search rankings, and site backup.
- Check the appropriate boxes and scroll down to enter your billing information. Take a moment to read through the terms of service, cancellation policy, and privacy notices, then click the box to confirm that you agree with the policies.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a password and, boom, you are ready for step three: choosing your WordPress theme.
Step Three: Choose a WordPress Theme
If you’ve chosen Bluehost as your web host, WordPress will be automatically installed for you. All you have to do is click, ‘Log in‘ and choose a theme. if you aren’t sure which theme you want, don’t worry! You can go back and change it later. If you don’t like the generic themes, you can upgrade to one of the premium
The next screen will ask if you are building your website for Personal or Business reasons. This will help us provide you with accurate recommendations to help on your website building journal.
Step Four: Learn Your WordPress Dashboard
Now that you are ready to start working, you should find yourself on the Dashboard, or the back-end, for your new website. This is the service area that allows you to control what your website visitors will see when they land on your pages. Spend some time learning the WordPress admin dashboard by reviewing features that you will use most often.
Step Five: Customize Themes and Pages
Let the fun begin! You are ready to start fine-tuning your site with your color choices, font styles, and special elements that will help you express your company culture or personality. You can dive right in and write your first post, but it’s beneficial to get to know the features and functionality of your site first.
On the left-hand sidebar you’ll find navigation links that allow you to customize your site. The best way to get to know your way around is to click on each tab and explore the options.
- Browse the themes; there are paid and free options available.
- Customize your theme with colors, headers, and social media buttons.
- Upload photos to inspire your site visitors and add clues about your values and services.
- Create your first blog post and main page content.
- Add a contact form
Don’t forget to set up Google Analytics in order to collect data on visitors coming to your site and link Google Search Console to make sure there are no errors.
These five steps will have you running a WordPress website for your small business in no time — okay, about 30 minutes. Ready to get started? Get your domain name and self-hosted service package at Bluehost today!