ALT: Introducing the WordPress Desktop App for Windows
The official WordPress desktop app for Windows arrived in the Microsoft Store in June 2021. Before this, only Mac and Linux users enjoyed this perk.
The desktop app simplifies the WordPress experience — it enables you to quickly access and modify WordPress websites from your desktop. It also provides a secure and distraction-free environment to create content.
Read on to learn more about the WordPress desktop app’s features and decide for yourself.
WordPress Desktop App 101
The WordPress app is a blogging application for WordPress.com users created by Automattic, WordPress’ parent company.
With the WordPress desktop app, Automattic provides a way for you to access your WordPress account from your desktop and ensures a distraction-free environment to create posts.
Users of WordPress.org (self-hosted WordPress customers) can also benefit from the app, provided that they sign up for WordPress.com and Jetpack accounts.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using the WordPress Desktop App
In line with WordPress’ goal of simplicity, the app promises convenience and ease of use. However, it does have its limitations.
Consider both the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress Desktop to decide for yourself.
- Distraction-free way to create content
- Instant access to WordPress from your desktop
- Easy access to WordPress settings
- Quick content sync
- User-friendly interface
- Requires an active internet connection
- Requires the Jetpack plugin and a WordPress.com account
- Lack of support for theme customization and WordPress core upgrades — you need to use the WordPress website for both
- Limited features for WordPress.org users
Capabilities of the WordPress Desktop App
Here’s what you can do with the WordPress Desktop app:
- Manage content
- Manage your business
Using the WordPress Desktop App
Once you’ve downloaded the WordPress Desktop app from the Microsoft Store, here are the initial steps you need to follow to start using it:
- Install and activate the Jetpack plugin on your WordPress website (if you aren’t already using it).
- Connect the Jetpack plugin to your WordPress.com account by clicking the Set up Jetpack button.
ALT: Set up Jetpack on the new WordPress Desktop app for Windows
- Select Create New Account and enter your details to create your account.
ALT: Create a new Jetpack account when signing up for the WordPress Desktop app for Windows
- Click on Start for free at the bottom of the page — it will lead you to WordPress.com, where you can either log in or sign up (if you don’t have an account).
ALT: Choose ‘Start for free’ when selecting a Jetpack plan
- Open the WordPress app and log in.
Once logged in, you will see the same window you do when you log into your WordPress website from the browser. You are now set to use WordPress from your desktop.
Final Thoughts: WordPress Desktop App for Windows Is Here
The WordPress app hitting the Microsoft Store is good news.
WordPress users on Windows can now access and modify their WordPress websites without logging into their accounts on the browser.
While the WordPress app has limitations — you can’t customize themes or update WordPress core in it — it is an excellent tool for everyday use from your desktop.
Besides the Microsoft Store, the app is also available for download on the WordPress website. With the addition of Windows, it now supports all the mainstream operating systems — Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. In addition, you can find it on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
Have you tried the WordPress Desktop app for Windows? Share your experience by tweeting us at @Bluehost.